Saturday, August 7, 2010

Friday Flash-ing (Kinda)

I feel like I'm coming in a bit late to the "Friday Flash" party, and while I've yet to go all-in and do the #Fridayflash thing, (and I may yet) I've noticed a couple other weekly writing parties out there, and want to spotlight one in particular:

Lily Childs' Friday Prediction.  Every Friday, the Macabre Ms Childs picks three words at random from the dictionary / encyclopaedia etc., and challenges the visitors to her excellent blog to come up with a 100 word story based on them.  It's wonderful exercise to try and get a coherent plot out in such a compact space.  This has been going on for a couple of months now, but like anything else new, it needs great word of mouth to grow, so check it out!

This weeks words were: cavernous, jewellery box, and freedom.

Here's my attempt (prompt words in blue)

Postage due, Pandora

Katie looked closely at the tasselled, powder-blue jewellery box; a present from her ex-boyfriend Stephen - at least that's what the card said.

Below his anally-retentive tiny signature had been a single additional phrase, "There is nothing in this box, remember that."

Katie wondered why, if the box was truly empty, it should feel so heavy, but there was only one way to find out. 

Lifting one of the ornate golden tassels, Katie opened the box. The insides were cavernous, and stretched out to forever. 

From somewhere deep inside the box, came a tiny, rasping voice, 

"Freeedom."

Fucking Stephen ...

6 comments:

  1. I liked it, Chris and hope to see your longer version some time soon. You should try Cormac Brown's FFF one time.

    Have a great weekend, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a cavernous jewellery box. Hard to write a story in so few words, but you show how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laurita. One thing I mentioned on Lily's site, but haven't said here, is that it's actually a snapshot version of a longer (6k) piece.

    That particular one has been kicking around the rewrite/reject/rewrite pile, so I'm considering putting it up here in 3 parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the plug Chris! Everyone's welcome to have a go.

    'Postage due, Pandora' is a fabulous tease; I just want to dive right inside that cavernous box... or should that be, wait to see what dives out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very good one, Chris. Love that imagination and creepy ending.
    Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting such a neat Friday Flash - thing Lily. I've enjoyed all the pieces I've read there!

    Erin - thanks for checking it out. I've pretty much decided that the "full" version is going to be a series of 3 that I'll be posting here.

    ReplyDelete