Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Madness

Music sometimes informs what I write. Sometimes the stories are just there, but a lot of times, I'll play some of my favourite songs and albums to get the ideas flowing. I write a lot of dark things, and I listen to a lot of dark, heavy music. There's a new story of mine up at Flashes in the Dark today. (Click here to check it out.)

The story is about madness, and while it wasn't directly influenced by the Alice Cooper song below, I'm influenced quite a bit by Alice Cooper, so there you go.

When I was 13 years old, Alice Cooper was touring his Trash album It was the first concert I ever went to, and when they dragged Alice off stage, strapped in a straightjacket, and he "became" Dark Alice, I was hooked. This song started up, and I've never quite been the same since.

3 comments:

  1. After that clip, I don't think I'll ever be the same either!

    Musicians and writers are the equivalent of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. I read on Neil Gaiman’s blog that a musician had recorded an album based off of his short stories – how cool is that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Erin!

    That's why I love the internet - concert footage from before I was born - at the click of a button.

    Neil Gaiman has a lot of ties to music - the talking tree in "Stardust" is a tribute to Tori Amos, and Tori Amos has numerous references to Neil Gaiman in her songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy story, yo. Loved it.

    I love stories of mad people. I'm not sure where my obssession lies. There's this book I have I think you'd really like. It's like a personal diary of a mad man. It's simply excellent. when I can find it I'll give you the title.

    I like that this song inspired the story. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete