Thursday, May 19, 2011

#amwriting - Endings and Beginnings and Icon-ic disappointment

Just a quick update on things.
Damn you white space! Be more full!

It's been a pretty good week, writing wise. I ended up getting some time to myself a few nights ago, and as a result, I'm almost done the first draft of the short story I've been working on (though the clock is ticking on the antho I'm planning on submitting to). This one has posed a problem that's sort of new to me. It's a horror story, with lots of crazy, gooey action, but it didn't feel right to end as soon as the "scary part" was over. I have a survivor, and I've got to deal with him - so I've been writing the ending to this thing for about three weeks. It's the first time an ending has done this particular trick, but I recognize if I rush it, it'll only undo all the cool bits in the middle.

Next - one of the main source books I've been using to plan my novel just came back in at the library. I promised myself when I was finished the short story, I'd put everything else on hold and make a solid push to get this big story going. There's one flash piece in limbo, though, that I want to put down onscreen and get over to a friend, so I'll be working on that when I need the mental break.

Finally, a note of disappointment. I commute upwards of an hour each day, and have been enjoying audio books during these drives for about a year now, and it's now official - I can't stand abridgements. Last week I picked up Peter Straub's "In the Night Room" to listen to (from the library also... love the Toronto system, they have just about everything). I've never read the book, but the audiobook was impossible to listen to. The story took huge disjointed jumps, and made the exposition seem forced and unnatural. I gave it up after disc three (of five.) Previously, I'd listened to Stephen King's "It", which was 35 freaking discs long, but unabridged, it was everything I loved about that story.  So - I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather carry a phonebook sized packet of CD's around in the car than listen to a story that's not everything the author wrote.

Btw - as a replacement, I picked up Joe Hill's "Horns", and am loving it.

Keep writing everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I love it when a first draft comes together; hope you get it submitted to the antho in time. Sounds like you’ve got plenty on to keep you busy! I just finished reading ‘Horns’ a couple of weeks ago, Joe Hill is a legend! Really, really enjoyed it – it even had a decent ending! Rare nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely sympathize with you on rewriting the ending, Chris. Endings are my weakness. My challenge is that I often clip it to short. I need to push myself to write it out to its full conclusion, I just hate long drawn out endings, but at the same time, there needs to be a satisfying conclusion of a tale. Not sure what you are struggling with in your ending, but it sounds like you are doing a good job working it out.

    I'm with you on the unabridged thing too! I hate it when the author's words are clipped. Horns is excellent. I adored the whole "Tree house of the Mind" idea. Joe Hill is definitely one of my writing idols.

    ReplyDelete