Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Kind of a Funny Situation

Fellow Canuck, Nina Powers, has been posting a lot of really intriguing writing prompts recently. From the sounds of it, it's related to her recent adventures with Google+, but whatever the reason, there's been some super-specific ideas given out, which let the imagination run riot. Here's her most recent post.

I took a stab at this one, in which you have 200 words, in the first person, to explain yourself, after being caught stealing.

Here's mine:

A Funny Situation

"A'right...its kind of a funny story," I said.

"Not that funny," said Constable Lewis.

"Hear me out. We was drinking. A lot."

"That much I believe."

"Anyways, I says to Georgie, that if the fleckin' Buds blow another overtime, he can have my TV - 'cause I ain't watchin' anymore."

"And?"

"And what? You seen the score tonight, no?"

"It wasn't your TV to give."


"Of course not! Sorry. Of course it wasn't. It wasn't even my house."

"That's the problem. And if there's a point, get to it."

"Me and my neighbour, right? Two doors away? Well, our front door keys fit both locks, his and mine."


"Your neighbour? The one who turned you in."

"Of course he did, I had his TV. But I thought it was my T.V."

"Your houses look the same. That's your excuse?"
"Almost."

"What do you mean?"


"That's the only difference between Bill's brownstone and mine. I have a bathroom in the front hall. He's got a closet, right?"

"And?"

"And that is why he probably turned me in. Not 'cause of the T.V. at all."

"I think you're full of shit."

"Not anymore."

"You filthy bugger. Get back in that cell."

4 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha! That is hilarious. It was funny before the closet but man...
    And hey, am I the only one not using Google+?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurita. And no - apparently Google+ is not ready for us...

    It was the same way with Gmail, so I'm not that worried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That was great, Chris. Just the giggle I needed after a day of grafting. Thanks, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's either one smelly closet or one closeted bathroom.
    Google + ? Change is good, but when it's a monthly occurrence, that is not change, that's annoyance.

    ReplyDelete