Sunday, November 6, 2011

Raising the funds. Putting on the "Mo."

I have joined the "Movember" movement.

For the month of November (which traditionally is my least favourite month) I am donating the space on my upper lip to help raise awareness for Men's Health in general, and Prostate Cancer specifically.

When I was in my mid-teens, I went through a span of three years where I lost three grandparents, and an extremely close friend. Cancer has taken far too many people out of this world, far too soon. If participating in this month's world-wide moustachioed festivities helps raise even a few dollars more to help make cancer go away, then I'm going to do it.

One of the things "Movember" is about, besides gnarly looking lip fur, is helping men get a very special message: take your damned health seriously. Get your checkup.No matter what else is going on in your head - you don't want to ever hear the words "it's too late to do anything. If only you'd-"

Here's the end of the "serious" part. If you've got a few bucks to spare, I'd love it if you'd sponsor me here. If not - not to worry - I won't think the worse of anyone, but there is this, and only this - take care of yourselves. I think far too highly of far too many of you to see someone getting awful news because they couldn't be bothered to take an afternoon off.

Now - the other side of the coin is that the "before" pic which I have just added as my new profile, will be proudly replaced by a "during" and an "after" as Movember continues. Get ready for the Used Car special!


Note for those of you in the UK: Steven Chapman is also "growing the ribbon." If you do  your commerce in pounds and not dollars, and would prefer to support a local boy, I'm sure he'd appreciate the support! 

All the best.

Chris

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you're doing this. I will definitely thow a donation your way.

    Have you thought about how you are going to style your moustache? I think the evil villian twirly style would suit you (a la Snidely Whiplash) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice goin', Chris. What a great cause, and personally, facial hair is sexy...if done right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurita - thanks! I was partly inspired by the self-sacrifice you (and your hair!) put forth this earlier this year. Fuzzing the face is a little tamer by comparison, but if I can raise some money in this way - it's all good! And Snidely Whiplash, huh? I'm more on track to rock the "Jamie Hynaman". (it grows fast)

    Erin - thanks for your support! I've already signed a written affadavit to my wife that "skin" will be back "in" starting December 1.

    ReplyDelete