Friday, December 30, 2011

Stream of Consciousness That Runs into the New Year, Written While Imbibing Red Wine in Winnipeg

Greetings from sunny, frigid Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I'm taking a bit of a post-Christmas holiday, and getting some much needed family time to boot. 

In the last week, I've been looking at all the writing I'm not doing, and have decided that I'll live - as long as I stick to my plans for the New Year. Call it a Resolution, call it Fiddles McGee, if you like - I've taken the opportunity of this break to examine what I've been doing writing-wise, and made some concrete decisions about what I would like to accomplish in the upcoming year:

1) The Novel.  I've started no fewer than five novel-length stories in the past three years - none of which I've been able to stick to for long enough to see them through to the end. The one I'm working on now is a little different - not in that it's easier - f%$% no. However, I've taken that great work of writer's advice On Writing to heart, and approached this one "with serious intent". I've done the research, I've got the notes - I've just got to make it past page 13. I will - this year I will do this thing.

But first...

2) I've been debating about putting together a collection of short stories for the last year or so. Now that I've done the Smashwords thing for Eight Days of Madness, I'm convinced I can and should collect what I've been doing for the past few years in one place. There's a few new stories that will fit nicely as well. Seeing as how I've also been through the Create-space experience, I'll probably do a multi-format thing with the collection. Work is already underway, and I'm having a lot of fun tuning up my selections for the final draft. Suffice to say, even if you've read the stories before, there's going to be a lot of new material here.

3) Nine Days of Madness. I had a ball hosting the Eight Days of Madness festival in March of 2011. I'm doing it again. You can get all the submission details by clicking on the badge at the sidebar. Please do - I want it to be a tough decision this year! Reminder that if you get into the blogfest - you also get into the E-book.

FYI - the first collection, Eight Days of Madness, is up for a Preditors and Editors award for Anthology of the year. Vote by clicking here!

And that's enough. If I can get those three things done this year, I'll feel more than justified in spending the remainder of my writing time penning shorts for mass consumption on my favourite sites, or subbing pieces to some of the many amazing anthologies I keep seeing pop up - all the while keeping this little piece of the web up and running.

Finally, my thanks to any and all that have checked out the Leaky Pencil this year. I hope you'll stick around for the adventures to come in 2012.

All the best to you and yours for a very Happy New Year.

(Now back to that bottle of red...)

Cheers.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment