Friday, February 10, 2012

This is an AWARD WINNING post

... in that I'm talking about some awards that have come my way.

[editor's note - I started writing this post - I'm now halfway through, and I can safely tell you to go get a beverage - this is turning out to be a lengthy read. Go on. I'll wait. Got it? Super.]

First off - apologies for not getting around to everyone's site of late. I caught a pretty good writing tide in the past week or two, and have been riding it hard. I've made some headway on my short story collection, subbed a new piece, and finished a second new one. Feels good.

A few neat things have come my way in the meantime -

The first is that I was nominated for, and selected as one of eColleges.com's top 75 Writing Blogs.
Not sure where that particular accolade places me in the great hierarchy of the inter-webs, but it's nice to know someone thought enough of the Leaky Pencil to want to nominate me!

Neat thing part 2 - the Versatile Blogging award. This is one of the "I like your blog, now tag- you're it" badges that go around from time to time, but again, it's great to know you have people stopping by.

Now, the rules of this one are:

1) If you get the award, you have to post a link back to the person who gave it to you, so "Thank you!" to Mr. Benjamin Sobieck, crime writer extraordinaire, 8 Days of Madness Alum, and blog-master of the Crime Fiction Book Blog.


2) Then you have to nominate 15 other bloggers for the award. (Fifteen Benjamin? 15???? Well, so be it, So-bi-eck. See what I did there? [kidding aside - I'm thrilled you thought of me]

Ok - first the Blogs of Note. I'm going to break the rules a tiny bit here. I've received a couple of these types of awards in the past, and have tended to nominate only those people that I know very well; which means I've nominated the same people over and over. Instead, I'm going to nominate some of my newest followers, as both a "thank you" and a way to get to know them a little better, as I'm now suggesting you do!

1. The Eagle's Aerial Perspective - The Golden Eagle blogs about life, writing, science, and anything else that catches her fancy! 
2.Kelda Crich  - the alter ego of novelist Deborah Walker - used when she writes and blogs about horror!
3. Hope Whispers - Carrie Burtt writes poetry, and fills her blog with musings and words of inspiration
4. Silver's Reviews - Silver Solara, a.k.a. Elizabeth publishes thoughful, personal book reviews.
5. David Powers King - writer of YA Sci-fi and Fantasy!
6. Will Write for Cookies - Peggy Eddleman gets this award for the title of her blog alone. Mmm cookies.
7. here to read and write - asuqi is... asuqi, and asuqi is delightful. Meet asuqi.
8. In Medias Res - Milo James Fowler is a writer of sci-fi and short horror fiction - check him out! 
9. Writing My Novel... and stuff - Now Nina is someone I do know - and a fellow Canadian to boot!. Given the super cool prompts and other blog-post goodies she has at her place, I suggest you check her out!
10. Scribble & Scatter - Susan May James is a fellow contributor to Lily Childs' Friday Prediction, and a damned fine writer of dark fiction
11. Life on the Muskoka River - Cathy Olliffe-Webster is another fellow Canadian, and a recent friend. Her blog has candid - often hilarious musings of one Muskoka-based author's journey.
12. Your Friendly Neighborhood Palindrome - Hannah Kincaide loves fiction - both reading it, and writing it. Oh - and donuts. She likes donuts too. Say hi!
13. Popsicle Stand - Jenny Dreadful will challenge you with the things she writes. That is a very good thing.
14. Ramblings of an Unkempt Mind - The blog of horror novelist Marissa Farrar - author of the "Serenity" vampire novels.
15. The Futurist - another fellow "Prediction-eer", Tony Cowin writes dark, scary fiction, and he's got a new book coming out

To all my nominees - thank you for being followers here - and I hope this award gets your own places buzzing!


Lastly:
Anyone with an award has to say seven interesting things about himself/herself. Here's mine:


1) I've used this before but it's a good one ... I once played Jack the Ripper on The Discovery Channel.
2) I once served a Coke to Roger Clemens, and a chicken sandwich to the "Matrix Twins"
3) My first apartment was shaped like a triangle.
4) I have a minor in Film Studies, and have watched the three hour Russian film "Solaris" twice (and liked it better than the remake)
5) I used to be able to "perform" the first fifteen minutes of STAR WARS IV verbatim. (Because 16 minute would've been obsessive)
6) My personal mascot is a plastic moose.
7) Once, I sang the Star Spangled Banner ... at a Karaoke Bar ... in Toronto ... and a group of guys visiting from Texas got up and cheered.

And THAT is the Versatile Blogger Award.


I had more to say in this post - but if you've made it this far, your beverage is now cold, or lukewarm, or gone, so I'll save it for another day.


Thanks for coming by!


C

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the award....great post.

    CONGRATS on the Top Writing Award nomination

    Hope you liked The Wicked Wives'' Review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination - and great idea with nominating new folks - definitely going to check out the blogs you've mentioned.

      Delete
    2. Elizabeth - more than welcome. (And I did. :) )

      Jenny - If nothing else, I'm hoping it helps generate some buzz and followers for a lot of really great people. (Glad you're one of them!)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the awards, Chris -- and thank you for the shout out. I think you should film yourself performing as much of Episode IV as you remember and post the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milo - more than welcome - and thankfully my brain has pushed out that information to make room for other, equally trivial things that hopefully will make it into stories at one point.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Chris for the nomination. I just stumbled across your blog recently and am so glad that I did. It may take me a while to do my award post, but I will start on it as soon as I can. Thank you again, and look forward to reading your future posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Chris. That's pretty cool about the EColleges.com award. I ditto many of your blogs above, and a few to check out now too!

    Keep up on your writing ... and why aren't you in W1S1? I won't pressure, pressure, pressure you or anything.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the award, Chris! Now I have to think of seven interesting things about myself... Hmmm... not sure I have seven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the awards! :) And thank you so much for passing on the Versatile.

    I'm fascinated by triangular buildings; they're so different from the usual square or rectangular ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the nomination and the award! So very awesome!

    And triangle, seriously? That sounds so fascinating! Until you try to arrange furniture, that is. :)

    Thanks for passing the award along to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats. May your pencil leak all over the interwebs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great. Thank you so much. I'm going to have fun pasing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Chris! You rock! WOOT WOOT! I got a clear picture of "The Star Spangled Banner" performance, and it sounds like it was hoot :)

    Keep riding that writing wave, Sir. I always look forward to seeing your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the nomination! So sweet of you =)

    So, you´ve met the Matrix Twins and you can perform Star Wars stuff? U is made of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey now, I didn't come up with the rules for this very official blog badge thingy. Because if I had, it'd been 25, not 15.

    What closet of an apartment were you living in that your place was shaped like a triangle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By no means was I really upset, Benjamin - just thrilled, and "acting out" out of exuberance! Thanks again for the nom (nom nom)

      Delete
  13. Thanks Chris, I'm tickled to be included on such a fine list! Will certainly be popping by to check out everyone you nominated and will get thinking about my 15.

    I must add, I'm a fellow Canadian too! Albeit a rather displaced one...

    ;0)

    ReplyDelete