Monday, May 14, 2012

The Darker Side of Fairy Tales


I received some fantastic news over the weekend. Father Grim's Storybook, the latest publication from Jessica Weiss and Wicked East Press is now available at Amazon! 

Shown: not Rapunzel.
As a parent who's watched his fair share of family films, and more than my share of Disney, it's always completely liberating to take the happy, shiny cartoon filter off these tales and let their original, cautionary dark magic reassert itself. In Father Grim's Storybook, the authors have taken this further, and pushed past a lot of the redemptive quality that remained, to give the reader a collection of tales that are truly disturbing, in the classical tradition.

My own piece, "Rapunzel and the Undead" has been seeking publication for over a year under various long-term submission periods, etc. So - to see the story up and around and out in the world is a tremendous boon. 

(And take that Tangled.)


________________

Promo done- update time - the collection will be sent to the "publishing machine" this month, as advertised, but I neglected to factor in the proofing process, so it's most likely it'll hit the virtual shelves just in time for my 37th next month.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the upcoming publication. It sounds like my kind of story. I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Chris. What a great feeling it is to get a story hanging out in the subs finally published! I had my eye on that anthology, but never got around to submitting. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete