Monday, May 28, 2012

Social Media: I'm doing it wrong.




Those of you who have also been following me on Twitter (thank you) may have noticed a few more tweets from me recently, in addition to a #GBSMM hashtag.  

For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is my upcoming self-published collection of short stories, I've decided to try and get a little perspective, and a lot of help using this "Social Media" thing properly. To that end, I've enrolled in a fourteen week night-school course in Social Media Marketing.

I can tell you, after just two classes, that there is so much more to all of this new way of connecting than I ever suspected. 


Already, two constants are emerging, upon which all good efforts are based: 



  • Be consistent
  • Be genuine.
Consistency and I have had a love-hate relationship; often eyeing each other ruefully across a table full of jello shots and wondering where it all went wrong. 


I'm hoping to make some amends and begin getting a little more frequent with the posting, or at least more predictable.  There's also (minor announcement with a snare-drum-roll) a new blog coming. The new blog for the course, but the content is at our discretion, so it's absolutely connected to my writing life and, as such, I'll be joining it up with this one at the right time.

Also, I'm starting (starting -- I'm still just two weeks in... well three, I missed the first class...) to understand what Twitter is really good for, and frankly, I've been a pretty crap-tastic tweeter.

So - even though I'm still as mired in WIP as ever, I will definitely be around more in the social-sphere. If you see me there, please do jump in and say "hi".

Oh - one last thing I've picked up from my course so far? This guy. He's awesome.




3 comments:

  1. Consistency and I have had a love-hate relationship; often eyeing each other ruefully across a table full of jello shots and wondering where it all went wrong.

    Hehe.

    I used to have a mega-successful blog. Guess what? Yes, it's all about consistency.

    But it's also a drain. I made a conscious effort to change, and it cost me, and I'm going to have to say that I'm pretty darn happy. However, it's all been a huge change in perspective and overall philosophy, and let's face it, I'm best left under a rock, anyway.

    Now, about that mojito. It's cool in the shade of this rock. Care to join me? ;)

    PS Is that dollar shave guy for real? That was fabulous. Alejandra's a star. And so was the big furry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - I wish I could be Mojito-ing today. North of the border we had our day off last Monday. But picturing a 10 a.m. bevvie giving me a mental "ahh" right now.

    Consistency, I'm starting to understand, might be one post a week. Basically, you start with the minimum you are able to do, because it is always easier to increase - and harder to go the other way. If you start with 3 posts a week, then drop off, it looks like you don't care. If you start with "Tuesdays", and keep up with it, that may be enough - esp. if you're Tweeting, etc. It's new thinking, and I'm trying to keep open to all of it.

    And yes - I clicked the link, Dollar shave is a "Thing". The bear makes me laugh each time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying your tweets. But you know, I'm not that consistant either. My life doesn't really allow for consistancy. Glad you're learning a few new tricks and I hope they help you reach some big goals.

    ReplyDelete