Thursday, February 21, 2013

Getting Personal

I read a great post awhile back from author Matt Hilton, wondering whether or not blogs were "done".

Looking at the previous post date here, I'm wondering the same thing. Not whether or not I'll keep the blog going - that's no question - I like it here at The Leaky Pencil, and I'm not going to give it up. However, I may change things up a little bit.

Again, as I take a quick retrospective of my doings on this site, it seems like I'm always doing one of about six things:

1) Pimping a new story that's up somewhere.
2) Pimping a story that's going to be up somewhere.
3) Pimping my book.
4) Posting the odd story. And pimping it.
5) Telling other people how to write.
6) Lamenting that I'm not writing more.

That's a lot of pimping - and very little else. And I'm not that happy about it.

The exception, and a wonderful one it is, has been the "Days of Madness" festivals. Without hyperbole, the past two iterations of the Madness in March have been the most fun I've had with this blog, and I'm really hoping this year's version is every bit as fulfilling for everyone involved. By the way... *ahem*

ONLY ONE WEEK LEFT TO GET SUBMISSIONS IN FOR TEN DAYS OF MADNESS.

*okay... done*

But I'm also wondering if it will be the same because, as Mr. Hilton points out, and supported by my own observations, people just aren't visiting blogs as much, and conversely, people aren't blogging that much either.

"When are you going to stop being boring?"
So the fate of the Pencil is this: I'm going to do "this". The blog will be more about my own thoughts and experiences as they come. Because I'm still putting pen to paper (and these days, that's the only way I can actually get writing done) I'll have things to say about writing, but maybe there'll be a post about my favourite movies, books, or whatever happens to be going on in the world. If I have a story to share, or a new publication, I'll still talk about it, because supporting the people that like your stories is simply the right thing to do. But hopefully there'll be different reasons to check in.

Also - the frequency may drop off a bit. Between blogging / facebook-ing and writing, I've been getting the free-time priorities a little skewed, so there needs must be a correction.

Thanks to all of you for reading, for visiting, and I hope each and every one of you checks back in for 10 Days of Madness!

Cheers,

Chris




7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this, Chris. I actually wrote an END TO BLOGGING piece a few months back, but it hasn't felt right to post it yet, and maybe I never will. Blogging is a strange world. It is like talking to a curtain, you never know who or what is on the other side.

    I've noticed that the blogs I follow most are those writers/authors who slip in little bits about their personal lives along with pimping their stories (you know we all do that). So if that is what you are intending to do, I think it'll be a good thing.

    If you don't put some of yourself into your blog, you are no different than Joe Blow Writer next door. I know this is something I need to do more of also, but I'm actually kind of a private person. I have a lot to say (some of it must be good), but often would rather listen to or read someone else.

    Looking forward to your 10 Days of Madness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I really do put a lot of thought into this - so it's great to hear that others are thinking about it too.

      See you at the 10DOM!

      Delete
  2. I like what you're doing here, pimp daddy, so don't go quitting any time soon.

    I too have been reading about the demise of blogging (coincidentally, these articles have been posted on blogs...), but I don't think they will just wither and die. I think blogs will simply evolve into whatever the hell they'll eventually be called.

    Can't wait for 10DOM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angel - I really appreciate it. I've often looked at your own blog as an example of getting it right - you aren't afraid to rage at things that are rage-worthy (plagiarism par exemple) and you support others as much as you do yourself.

      Glad you'll be checking in on the "madness!"

      Delete
  3. I think blogs are actually the perfect corner to do all your pimping.

    I think of mine as being the centralized spot for all my material. People go to personal websites because they want information about you. They don't necessarily have to be more than that.

    So pimp away. You are the benign dictator of this space. It's not like you're stepping on anyone's toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted, Mr. Sobieck! I've actually got an anthology placement coming up in March that I'll be mentioning. Now it just feels more comfortable!

      Delete
  4. When I began my blog I wrote for it a few times a week, sometimes every day. I noticed the initial response petered out after a while. Since then I've only posted occasionally. I've gone months without posting in fact.

    At the end of January I decided to pick things up again. I wanted to try and see if I could do it properly. I bought a domain name for $1, redesigned the blog to look a little more like a website and started posting again.

    I posted one film review, one book review and an article of death and sex in horror spit into two parts. I did this because 500 words is a good number for any post.

    This approach, together with promoting on FB, Twitter, Pinterest etc brought 1025 views in one month. It may make no difference to my writing, other than having an outlet to write outside of fiction, but it's certainly building a platform for when I'm ready to pimp my wares. And I will be pimping believe me.

    Good luck Chris and keep at it.

    ReplyDelete